SEO Tip: Improve User Experience and Engagement
First, let’s briefly explain what Google’s goal is as a search engine.
Like all search engines, Google’s objective is to find the best results for every user’s question. And they know users are less likely to use that search engine again if it fails to deliver. Google excels at providing the best results, which is why they’re the largest search engine in the world!
At the core of Google’s philosophy is this principle… “Focus on the user and all else will follow.”
So, keep user experience in mind when you optimize your website for SEO. If your site looks unprofessional, outdated, untrustworthy, or is slow to load, you’re less likely to rank on search engine results pages (SERPs).
Make Your Posts Easy to Read.
Here are some formatting tips that will make your content more readable:
- Shorter paragraphs – Paragraphs with only 3 - 4 sentences that support a single main idea are ideal.
- Sub-headings - These help readers quickly scan content and better understand what the article is about.
- White space – White space is both valuable and effective. Too much text can overwhelm users (and increase your bounce rate). Using white space to break up text makes your content easier to scan, improves the focus area for the user, and increases their time on the page.
- Bullet points – When you have a lot of information packed into a single paragraph, use bullet points (like this one!) to make it easier to read.
- Images – Use images or screenshots to help illustrate the steps or points you discuss. Images and infographics also help break up text and keep readers’ more engaged in the content.
- Inverted pyramid – The inverted pyramid style of writing means you put the most valuable information at the top of the article followed by the less important information. Most readers only scan articles, so you give them what they’re looking for when you use the inverted pyramid method.
- Increase website speed – Google knows that performance elements like site speed are especially important to users…that’s why it’s a ranking factor. In Google’s search results, site speed can make or break your site’s performance!
- Because site speed is so important to Google, it launched its own SEO tools to help improve site speed, including:
SEO is constantly evolving. As a business owner and marketer, you have to adapt quickly to the latest changes and trends. But the tips in our SEO eBook can help you get noticed by search engines and increase traffic to your website.
If all of this feels overwhelming, and you’re struggling with even knowing where to start, contact us today for a free consultation. Our talented team is certified in Google Analytics and has over 25 years of experience in website development and search engine optimization…we’d love to help you out!