Everything You Need to Know About Threads – and How to Use It for Your Small Business
Meta, the parent company of Instagram, Facebook, and WhatsApp, recently launched its new text-based app called Threads. With its Twitter-like feed and emphasis on real-time, public conversations, Threads has quickly gained momentum, attracting millions of sign-ups since its launch on July 5, 2023.
What is Threads?
Threads was built by the Instagram team, so Instagram users can use their Instagram accounts to log into Threads. According to the platform, your username and verification status will carry over, but you can also customize other areas of your profile.
For now, only Instagram users can create Threads accounts. So, if you want access to Threads, you’ll first have to sign up for Instagram.
The app also has safety features to control who can interact with you – and you can filter out unwanted replies.
Threads is a Fusion of Twitter and Instagram
- The user interface looks and feels like Twitter.
- Users can post text-based updates of up to 500 characters.
- The app supports sharing links, photos, and videos up to 5 minutes long.
- Threads blends elements of Instagram’s aesthetic and navigation system.
- Users can repost, reply to, and quote others’ posts.
- Real-time conversations allow users to engage with others.
- Users can share Threads’ posts directly to Instagram stories – merging the two platforms.
How to Use Threads for Your Small Business
1. Set up your Threads profile
- Download the Threads app and log in using your business’s Instagram account.
- Import your profile from Instagram, make any necessary changes, and select “Public profile” to boost visibility.
- For a seamless transition, follow accounts you’re already following on Instagram.
- Start posting!
2. Determine your content strategy
- Since Threads is a new platform, experimentation is key. Focus on making connections and starting authentic conversations.
- Share memes, repost content related to your business, and mention other businesses using the @ symbol to encourage engagement.
- Post text-based updates, photos, videos, and GIFs to promote your products or services.
- Follow other small businesses to collaborate and build your community.
3. Engage with your audience
- Cross-promote your Threads posts on Instagram to expand your reach and visibility.
- Threads doesn’t have paid ads, so encourage genuine reviews and reposts from your audience.
- Post relevant content to your target audience (more on this in a minute!).
- Engage with your audience in real time by replying to users, sharing valuable content, and participating in discussions.
4. Adapt and stay updated
- Threads will continue to evolve, and Meta already has plans for future updates, including hashtags.
- Monitor the platform’s developments and adapt your strategy to use any new features.
- Be aware of the privacy and safety measures Meta has in place to address any potential issues and protect your brand’s reputation.
What Should Your Business Post on Threads?
Since Threads is very similar to Twitter, you can reuse any content you previously posted there. And remember, the key is to engage with your audience and show your brand’s personality. Experiment with different types of posts and analyze the response to refine your content.
Here are some ideas to get you started!
- Product or service highlights – Show them in action, demonstrate their features, or share customer reviews and testimonials.
- Tips and tutorials – Share step-by-step guides, how-to videos, or quick tips that can educate your audience, enhance their experience, or help them solve common problems.
- Behind-the-scenes content – Show them your workspace, introduce team members, or showcase your creative process.
- Industry trends and news – Share relevant articles and insights to keep your audience informed.
- User-generated content – Encourage your audience to share their positive experiences with your products or services on Threads. Repost their content or share customer success stories.
- Event promotions – Use Threads to share event details, updates, or exclusive sneak peeks to generate interest and encourage attendance.
- Q&A sessions – Encourage your audience to ask questions about your business, products, or industry – and provide insightful responses.
- Collaborations and partnerships – Showcase joint projects you have with other businesses or influencers, share exciting announcements related to these collaborations, or cross-promote each other’s content.
What’s Next for Threads?
Meta is already planning to make Threads compatible with ActivityPub so Threads will be interoperable with other apps. This will allow new types of connections that aren’t possible on most social apps today. Threads is committed to helping people find their community – no matter what app they use.
The goal is to give you more control over your audience. Using compatible social networks will enable you to connect and interact with people on different apps and share content. By working with ActivityPub, you will also have the option to stop using Threads and transfer your content to another service.
If you have a public profile on Threads, your posts will be accessible from other apps – allowing you to reach new people without any extra effort.
In addition to making Threads compatible with ActivityPub, Meta plans to add other features to help you discover creators and threads you’re interested in – including a more robust search function that makes it easier to follow trends and topics in real-time and improved recommendations in your feed.
Are you confused about the difference between Threads, threads, posts, and replies? Check out Instagram’s handy dictionary!
Jump in early and explore the possibilities that Threads offers! Your small business can connect with your audience in real time, tap into a growing user base, and create an engaging social media presence.
Impact Group Marketing offers multiple social media management programs to help you set up the right profiles for YOUR business and target audience. We can help you increase brand awareness and connect with current and potential customers. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Read More: Case Study – Partly Sunny Studios