Is Two Factor Authentication Necessary for Your Business Social Accounts?
Social media is a powerful tool for small business owners – from building brand awareness and increasing website traffic to providing online support for customers.
But if your social media accounts aren’t managed securely, they could easily be exploited by hackers. That’s why it’s crucial to have the right cybersecurity measures in place.
Two-factor authentication, or 2FA, is a vital way to protect your business from cyber threats.
What is two-factor authentication?
Also known as two-step verification and multi-factor authentication, 2FA is one of the most effective ways to reduce the risk of your employee's falling victim to a cyberattack that could expose your company’s accounts and assets. It’s a form of authentication that goes beyond simply typing in a username and password by adding an extra layer of security to every online platform your employee's access.
Step one of the authentication process is entering a username and password. Step two requires the user to provide a second piece of information to complete the login process. Additional authentication factors include:
- Verification codes – a unique, time-sensitive code is sent to a cell phone and must be entered to log in
- Biometrics – like a fingerprint scan or facial recognition
- Answers to personal security questions – like your first pet’s name, the name of your elementary school, or your high school mascot
Many other multi-factor authentication solutions are available, but they’re all designed to prove a login is legitimate.
Adding this second step of authenticating users' identities makes it more difficult for cyber-attackers to access data. This extra layer of security significantly reduces the possibility of data loss, identity theft, and fraud.
Two-factor authentication is supported by many platforms, accounts, and devices – and it’s one of the few cybersecurity tools that provide robust protection with minimal effort.
What are the benefits of two-factor authentication?
- Stronger security – Having a second form of identification drastically reduces the chance of hackers gaining access to sensitive data or corporate devices.
- Decrease fraud and build safe online relationships – Identity theft is on the rise – and can result in a loss of trust and credibility, which is extremely damaging to your business. Providing two-factor authentication allows you to offer a secure brand experience and have a trusting relationship with customers.
- Enhance productivity and flexibility – Now that more employees are working remotely, 2FA allows them to safely access corporate systems from any location or device without putting sensitive information at risk.
- Decrease help desk and security management costs – 2FA helps reduce time-consuming password resets that can overwhelm help desks. Two-factor authentication provides a secure way for users to reset their passwords.
If your business doesn’t already have a two-factor authentication solution in place, don’t wait any longer to implement this protective measure! Now that traditional passwords aren’t enough to keep away hackers, 2FA adds another layer of protection for you and your customers – and should be an essential part of your digital security strategy. Impact Group Marketing offers multiple social media management programs. Contact us today to learn more!
Read More: How Social Media Can Hurt Your Business